Happy Cyber Monday! I hope everyone had a lot of tasty eats and found some awesome shopping deals this weekend. Now that the season of giving is officially underway, I was hoping you guys would be able to support a group I just joined by voting for them on Facebook and/or giving a small donation.
This fall I started volunteering as a mentor for Minds Matter. It's a great non-profit organization, which helps transform the lives of accomplished high school students from low-income families by preparing them for college success. We meet every Saturday with our mentees to help them set goals for what they want to accomplish, and we also work with them very closely to help them gain admission to amazing collegiate summer programs at institutions such as Columbia, Exeter and the University of Michigan. I work with a really bright sophomore from the Brownsville neighborhood of Brooklyn. He's great at math and science, and he eventually wants to go to school to be a lawyer.
In addition to my mentoring responsibilities, I'm trying to raise $1,000. The money helps pay for all of the application fees and attendance costs associated with the summer programs. It's a really important goal to reach because all of the kids come from financially disadvantaged households. Without Minds Matter, most of them most likely wouldn't be able to attend, or even apply, to these programs.
You can help out in the following ways:
1. Donate some cash at my fundraising page. Every little bit helps. Whether you donate $5 or $50, your support is hugely appreciated. If I get $15 by Thursday, the donation will be matched. It's also the end of the year, so you can use your donation for tax write-offs.
2. Vote for us on Facebook via the Chase Community Giving program. You can vote until December 11, and the top 100 charities get $25,000 from Chase. Being in the top 100 also gets us to the final round, where the top charity receives $1 million and the five runners-up will receive $100,000. This could be huge, so just follow these steps:
- Go to the Minds Matter page
- Allow the Chase Community Giving app
- Vote for Minds Matter
- Post to your Wall so all of your Facebook friends can see your vote