Thursday, September 03, 2009

Welcome Week: Adult Edition

In Monday's post, I expressed how much I miss Welcome Week at the University of Michigan. I miss it so much, I celebrated Welcome Week at NYU with The Booty and Disco Stu on Tuesday night . The evening started in a classy fashion -- enjoying wine and pizza outdoors, people-watching and discussing relationships, grad school and business ideas. Things quickly devolved when Disco Stu asked, "You guys wanna play beer pong?"

We couldn't get our check quickly enough. We basically sprinted to Wicked Willy's and discovered they had a "deal" -- $7 pitchers of Coors Light or Michelob Light. Sweet. Though I suppose it's better than a $7 Amstel Light.

We ordered a couple of pitchers and called next game on one of the tables, which were pretty ridiculous. They were black-lighted and neon. It reminded me of the days when my idea of cool room decor involved blue rope lights and liquor bottles filled with water and highlighter fluid. Also, they had actual slots for the cups. I thought it was brilliant functional design. It's a huge help when shitfaced college students, or 26-year-olds, can barely make out a triangle. The only drawback was that each slot essentially turned into a mini pool of spilled beer. It grossed me out a bit to think that we stacked cups and drank from them. Oh well. College!

We managed only two games of beer pong. We won our first game with ease, but played catch-up the entire second game. That second game was super annoying because our opponent, a broheim with a Jonas Brothers haircut, kept trying to institute his personal house rules. I repeatedly shot him down. We're at Wicked Willy's, and we're going to follow the bar rules and chill the F out. These children need to be more mature.

After beer pong, we bought more pitchers and and participated in karaoke night. I love karaoke, but I've never sang in front of a crowd. I always get private rooms in K-town or East Village karaoke bars with friends, and we sake bomb and sing for 2-3 hours. It's a great time.

To pop my public karaoke cherry, I picked "Gin & Juice" by the capital S, oh yes, the fresh N double O P D O double G Y D O double G ya see. I thought it was a great idea when I picked the song, but 20 minutes later when it was actually my turn, I suddenly became very aware that there were a lot of black people hanging around the karaoke area. Now my palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms heavy. I'm nervous, but on the outside I'm calm and ready. And wasted. 3-2-1...

"With so much drama in the L-B-C..."

The 4 minutes just flew. I fell behind on a couple of verses, but I got some backup from Disco Stu and the crowd. Overall, it went well.

After that, we continued to drink even more heavily. More pitchers, and maybe even a shot. I can't be certain. What I do know is that we turned the karaoke area into a dance party. I just hope nobody had a video camera.

I woke up at 10am on my futon in my underwear and socks. Yup, I was too drunk to take off my socks. My jeans and shoes were strewn across the floor, but I did manage to throw my shirt into the laundry basket. I had a pounding headache and a 10:30 meeting. I suffered all day at work, but it was totally worth it...

College chicks! As if I wasn't going to mention the best part. Yeah bro!

1 comment:

  1. The real question however is.. did you play golden tee?

    ReplyDelete