Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Dirty Dancing

After a year of saying I'd do it, I finally attended my first hip hop class. I went to an intro session last night with The Rainmaker, and the lesson was popping. The class began in a promising manner. We started stretching with some shoulder isolations, which I could actually do. And that was pretty much all I could do. Popping drills followed stretching, but I'm not certain I actually performed them correctly. The class finished with some choreography.

I now have immense respect for dancers. Dancing is extremely technical and requires a ton of skill and coordination. If the instructor wasn't in front of me, I couldn't perform the choreography. Actually, even when the instructor was in front of me, I still couldn't perform the choreography. I'm a disgrace to my people. (This is in addition to my mathematical ineptitude and poor karaoke skills.)

Since I'm rhythm-deficient, I wanted to compensate by wearing some fly threads (I think that is the official terminology). I asked around, but no one was able to define proper hip hop attire. I resorted to Google and was taken to a site that listed top hip hop brands, such as Pepe Jeans, Phat Farm, Pelle Pelle, Akademiks, Kangol, Enyce, Girbaud, etc. If you know me at all, you know I don't have such clothing. I ended up wearing Nike soccer shorts, adidas Italia shoes and my Detroit Project t-shirt that I picked up during Festifall. The only thing fly about the entire outfit was the fact that I had "Detroit" on the front of my shirt, but that's questionable at best.

Even though I wasn't very good and lacked the proper attire, it was still a lot of fun. I actually continued practicing the moves back at my apartment. I'm considering getting the 10-class special so I can continue my hip hop education. I'd like to get to a point where I can do flares, coin drops, tutting and waving. Let me know if you want to join. Perhaps we could even start our own street crew and perform at the South Street Seaport or Union Square.

5 comments:

  1. I was really hoping you went out and got the old school track suit I suggested. I also secretly figured when you said you were going to a hip hop class that you were unknowingly walking into a standard women's dance class that happened to be hip hop. I was fully prepared to laugh at you this morning, but sadly I can't (at least not for that reason). I'll take the class with you if they can have a mirror class over here in Chicago hooked up through video feeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have a fun and interesting blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you mean yoga class? You painted a pretty picture. If you sport Enyce you will never hear the end of it from me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEAAA! hiphop! way to go! and yea, i witnessed your karaoke skills... what do you mean, "skills?" how about non existent! LOL just kidding. hey it's your birthday on monday! how about come with me to the island yeaaaa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow nice! i would want to learn too

    ReplyDelete