Monday, July 13, 2009

Philippines Randomness

I was supposed to go to a photo shoot featuring three Brazilian models on Saturday. The models were running late so the shoot was pushed back a bit. Unfortunately, I had a family reunion that same afternoon. The new shoot time overlapped with the reunion, and there was no way I could skip it. My afternoon went from photographing hot Brazilian models to hanging out with 50 or more extended-family members. I love my family, but WORST CONFLICT EVER.

At this same family reunion, there was a massive group prayer prior to eating. While we were in the middle of giving thanks to the Lord for all the fine food we were about to devour, at least three people, including my grandmother and aunt, started taking pictures of us in prayer. Asians will take pictures of anything!

I went to mass on Sunday morning with my grandmother and aunt. The service started with a woman announcing the proper attire for church. This is a very rough quote, but she basically said, "You should dress up for church because you are in the Lord's presence. Men should not wear t-shirts, short or sandals." My aunt looked at my outfit -- a t-shirt, shorts and sandals -- and shook her head and laughed.

The church announcer continued, "Women should not wear sleeveless or low-cut tops, spaghetti straps or shorts." She scanned her own outfit, a v-neck tank top and shorts, and says to me, "I'm not giving them money today." Word.

Following the sartorial lecture, the announcer actually starts talking about religious matters and says, "The church has been missionary by nature."I giggled in my head. I probably shouldn't go to church anymore.

My 8-year-old cousin and I were discussing doing the Pose Challenge for asianposes.com, and he said, "You don't look Asian." His 10-year-old brother and my uncle laughed hysterically in agreement. My own family...

My roommate, Old Guy, saw some cookies online called Filipinos and told me to bring some back. After a couple weeks of fruitless searching, I found some in my grandmother's fridge. She told me they're actually Spanish cookies she brought back from her recent trip to Spain, and you can't get them in the Philippines. As I was destroying the milk chocolate package, she urged me to try the white chocolate package. I said, "No, thanks. I'm kinda full, and I don't really like white." My mother was passing by and goes, "Yeah...he doesn't like white," and snickered as she walked into her room. Never should've written the post on The Feva.

My dad met up with an old college futbol teammate on Sunday night. They hadn't seen each other in over 25 years, but reconnected via the magic of Facebook. I learned the following things:
1) They had a teammate who like to drink honey with ground up marijuana before games. This helped him play out of his mind...literally and figuratively. Personally, I'd take the marijuana-honey guy over my two teammates who listened to Dashboard Confessional in the parking lot before games.
2) My dad attended De La Salle. Their most hated rival is Ateneo. Both schools also had high schools and elementary schools. The old futbol teammate didn't attend either of them, so he didn't really understand the gravity of the rivalry. My dad was a student of De La Salle his entire life. The old futbol teammate told the following story about the exact moment my dad helped him realize how deep the hatred runs:
Tom and I were just sitting on a bench before the game. As the Ateneo bus pulled up in front of us, out of nowhere Tom just grabbed the nearest Coke bottle, smashed it, started pointing it at the Ateneo bus and challenged the entire team to fight.
This is the same man who once tried to teach me the difference about being confident and being cocky.
3) They used to call my dad "Richard Gere." Ummm...HAHAHAHAHAHA!

My current weight is 77.1 kg (170 lbs). I'm back to my high school weight, and I don't feel so awesome. I'll be in Hong Kong the next four days, so this probably won't get any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment