Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Only Prescription

Last week, The Rainmaker wrote a post about dudes with The Feva, and it made me think about my own preferences. As I stated in parts 1 and 2 of my Dirty Facts posts, one of my life's mottos is "Asian, Latin and then everything else." So, I would consider myself one of the afflicted.

I know some of you are thinking that I'm Asian, and I can't have yellow fever if I like my own kind. I will respectfully disagree for two reasons:

1. I grew up around white people. I wasn't friends with any Asians until high school.
2. People think I'm Mexican -- The Dirty Burrito?!

Whether you agree with the nomenclature, the fact remains that I have a preference for Asian girls . I also want to be clear that it's not some weird fetish (me ruv you rong time). I'm open to everything, it's just that girls with roots in my home continent get special attention. Why is that? I think it's a combination of a number of factors.

Perhaps it's because I'm FOB, and it's just a preference with with which I was born -- kinda like if you're gay. If someone likes his/her own sex, no one will be able to change his/her mind. It's innate. No matter how hot Adriana Lima is, you're never going to convince me Brazilians are better.

I also place a lot of value in the cultural aspect. I want to be with someone who understands my constant need for rice with every meal -- meaning I don't even have to explain myself for her to have an understanding. She just gets it, probably/hopefully because she also has a constant need for rice. It's also refreshing when a girl isn't at all phased/surprised when my parents start speaking to me in Filipino (if she ever gets to meet my parents). It's just a normal thing -- another FOB family speaking in the native tongue. And she'll know why it's imperative that I eat noodles on my birthday. (If you're a single lady and understood that last sentence, call me at 1-800-BURRITO.)

Definitely, a part of it is physical. Everyone has a "type." More Asian girls just fit into the "type" to which I'm attracted. For example, I usually don't like blondes. I don't come across many Asians with blonde hair, but that's most likely because I don't hang with the rice rocket crowd.

Asian girls tend to like to eat the same things I like to eat -- Asian food (note my aforementioned need for rice). If a girl potentially grew up eating deep-fried octopus balls, chicken feet or tripe, then that's a fun person to take to dinner because she'll probably be open to most any dish in any cuisine.

Lastly, there's the psychological factor, which I'll let the Hottest Guy on Campus explain via our Gchat conversation. I mentioned that I was writing a post about why I like Asians, and this was his response:

HGOC: thats stupid, its because you're asian and your mother is asian
plus u weren't surrounded by them growing up, so not only are u naturally attracted to them, u were deprived of them
TDB: i know...but there's more to it than that
i'm naturally attracted to them
HGOC: yeah, because u are one and your mom was one and you have a good relationship with her
but sometimes people get sick of there own kind and want to venture out. but u didnt because u didnt have many asian chick options growing up, so its exponentially stronger

I'm not exactly sure what it all means, but it sounds like it has basis from something he learned in Psych101 at Northwestern, so I'll buy into it.

Basically, I have the fever. And the only prescription is...Jamie Chung from The Real World: San Diego!

4 comments:

  1. 1. I've never dated an Asian. My only experience with a FOB was a beautiful Polish girl. Maybe I'll go to an Asian club(???) and see if I can meet some nice girls.

    2. I know about your long life noodles...can I call 1-800-Burrito? That would save me the trip to the Club Asia.

    3. I don't have a type...I feel left out. I can't even really say I have a preference. I suppose I'm an equal opportunity lover.

    4. I love a girl who, like me, loves a good cheeseburger.

    5. I didn't know any Jewish or Asian girls until high school so according to HGOC I should be looking for some sort of hybrid of the two. Sadly I don't think many Jewsians exist.

    6. I have a fever, and the only prescription is all the ladies of the world...and more cowbell. http://tinyurl.com/mynextdate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking for a Jewsian forever. And not an Asian that converted to Judaism. I'm talking a girl who's dad is Asian and mother is Jewish. I have yet to even hear of one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After doing several minutes of research and asking my 3 smartest friends that happened to be on gchat at the time, I have officially classified Jewsians as mythical beasts, much like unicorns and smart blondes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids are going to be Asian Hebro's. OR Chocolate Jewasians. Call it what you want, they will definitely be mythical and will also kick ass!

    Mr. Burrito, Im all for your theory that an Asian man can still have "the feva," ... but you kind of disproved your point when all of your reasons for liking Asian girls are based in cultural background.

    I think it wouldve made more sense if you said "I refuse to eat white rice, I'm a 5th generation Filipino American, and I never saw an Asian girl until last year, but still for some reason, I always thought that Melissa from Real World New Orleans was hot.

    *sigh* I love Melissa!

    ReplyDelete