Sunday, November 16, 2008

Stylista

I was shopping for a new winter jacket yesterday afternoon when I was stopped by two Japanese FOBs (Fresh Off the Boat) on Broadway just below Prince Street. They asked me if they could take my picture for a Japanese hairstyle magazine.

If you know me, you know there isn’t anything special about my hair. I buzz it myself with clippers every three weeks. There isn’t much to it. My hair isn’t even anywhere near the level of coolness of the hair of Japanese people, so I honestly thought this request was a joke.

But again, if you know me, you know I love all things Japanese. I wasn’t about to pass on an opportunity to be in a Japanese hairstyle magazine, so I asked them a few questions to make sure it was a semi-legit publication. After providing some vague answers and showing me the magazine, I agreed to take part. The magazine was written completely in Japanese, so I figured it had to be the real deal.

What I forgot to ask was whether they knew I was Asian, or whether they were trying for diversity and thought I was Mexican. I would guess that everyone featured in a Japanese hairstyle magazine should be Asian. There are just certain things Asian hair can do that other types of hair cannot accomplish. I mean, would you put an Asian guy in a black hairstyle magazine?

The impromptu photoshoot was a bit strange. First of all, they took my pictures right there on Broadway in the middle of a busy sidewalk in Soho. I thought we’d at least go to a less busy sidewalk and take the pictures there. Secondly, the first shots they took were of the lower half of my body. I’m not sure if they were taking photos of my gold sneaks, or if they wanted a shot of my attire. I like to think it was a picture of the entire ensemble; it was the one day this week that I decided to dress well. Lastly, they completed their set by taking head shots from all sides. I was feeling generous, so I gave them some tastes of Blue Steel, Ferrari and Le Tigra.

The duo gave me an Email address where I could reach them, so maybe they’ll provide me with the final shots. I hope they turned out well.

And because it’s Music Monday, I’m leaving with you with a video: “Murder on the Dance Floor” by Sophie Ellis-Bextor. What does this have to do with my J-FOB fashion shoot? Absolutely nothing. They played this every night at my favorite bar in college (well every night that I went, which was about three nights a week), and girls totally dug this song, so this one is for the ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment