Monday, November 03, 2008

Rap the Vote

This week’s video is the most contemporary video you’ll ever see on Music Monday. It’s a little over a week old, and it comes from the 7th graders of Atlanta’s Ron Clark Academy. For those of you who have not yet seen the video, the students rap about the election issues to the melody of “Whatever You Like” by T.I.


I really like this video because it gives me hope for the youth of America. It’s nice to see kids are interested and knowledgeable about today’s issues. The students wrote all the lyrics and choreographed the performance themselves. You can even watch a CNN interview with some of the students, where Kyra Phillips asks them about the making of the song and who they’re supporting in this election. (The little guy she first interviews is hilarious and extremely eloquent. He gives the most reasoned, smooth and rational responses, and he is also the only McCain supporter.)


The defining characteristic of this video is not its lyrical originality or political neutrality. It’s the random white kid in the back right corner of the stage. His performance amuses me to no end.


I would compare him to the onion ring I would sometimes find in my order of fries when I used to eat at Burger King. I wasn’t quite expecting that onion ring and am not really sure if it belongs, but I’m willing to give it a chance. In fact, I eventually come to appreciate the onion ring even more because it’s actually diversified my eating experience and given me great satisfaction.


Kudos to that random white boy for stepping up and making the performance much more enjoyable.


1 comment:

  1. i'm actually waiting for your thoughts on the turnout of the elections :)

    and the random white kid is awesome. hahaha!

    ReplyDelete