Wednesday, September 03, 2008

So Much Drama In Da Club

I spent Monday and Tuesday watching all the drama on The CW: Gossip Girl, One Tree Hill and 90210. Here are my thoughts on the season premieres of each show.


Gossip Girl

OMFG. XOXO. Chuck Bass is awesome.


One Tree Hill

I used to like this show…when it took place in high school. I will give it credit for skipping the college years. We all remember the train wrecks that were Saved by the Bell: The College Years and Dawson’s Creek (the college years).


I stopped watching this show after the 2nd or 3rd season. I can’t recall anymore. The only reason I watched Monday’s episode was because the commercials completely suckered me. I had to know who Lucas would pick to marry—Brooke, Peyton or that other random chick I’ve never seen before.


Deep down, I wanted him to pick Peyton. I always loved Hilarie Burton, even back to the days when she was VJing on MTV. Other than Blake Lively, she’s the only blonde I’ve ever loved.


For entertainment purposes, Brooke would’ve been a good choice. Let’s not forget that back in 2005, Chad Michael Murray and Sophia Bush were married for about five months before separating. I find it amazing that they still work together, and it would’ve been interesting if they frequently had to perform affectionate husband/wife scenes together.


Who is that other random chick I’ve never seen before? She isn’t even attractive.


Overall, the show was pretty bad. I probably won’t watch another episode.


90210

I’m going to start by saying that I never really watched the original show, so I can’t give any comparisons between the old and the new. What I can do is tell you that Shannen Doherty’s face is whack.


Other random observations:

- Annie and Silver are anorexic. It’s actually pretty disgusting.

- Rob Estes is awesome.

- Jennie Garth is definitely a bit thicker now, but at least her face isn’t whack like Shannen Doherty’s. In any case, I’ll always respect her for being married to Peter Facinelli, who is most famous for playing the role of Mike Dexter in Can’t Hardly Wait. “Aman-duh!”


The writing and storylines were fairly poor. There were a lot of gaps. For example:

- What happened to Annie over the paper cheating issue with Naomi? They never showed her hashing it out with her dad, and they never followed up on her punishment for sneaking out of the house to attend Naomi’s party.

- There was the whole pig prank/suspension issue. Only three of the lacrosse players got suspended, but there were others who took part. From what I gathered, the point of that part of the episode was to demonstrate the bonds and camaraderie of being on a team. There was a big emphasis on unity and sticking together. What happened to the other guys that took part in the prank? Shouldn’t they have stepped up as well? And since they didn’t, shouldn’t the three guys who did step up to take the fall be angry with them for not sticking together?


Having said all that, overall, the show was still mediocre at best. I would place it somewhere between One Tree Hill and Gossip Girl. The drama and drama-potential for future episodes was just interesting enough for me to watch, but the show still lacks that little something that’ll get me excited for each episode. I’ll keep tuning in for now, but I’ll reassess my stance in a few weeks.

5 comments:

  1. Chukwu was very pissed off about the fact that there was a "token black boy" on 90210 instead of a black family in Beverly Hills. He turned into angry black man, concluding that this implied that black people can't live in Beverly Hills. I told him to shut the fuck up. At least there was a black person. What about the smart Asians? Asians can be financially successful and live in the 90210 too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED 90210. I couldn't believe it but I did, I really did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the new 90210 was awful. the only redeeming factor was watching the token black kid, played by tristin lee, worry about being grounded for letting loose a pig when a few months ago he was shooting crack heads in face on the Wire. it was like kumar trying to be a terrorist in 24. - hgoc

    ReplyDelete
  4. The new 90210 is great. Nothing can compare to the original, but if you lower your standards enough you can really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stand by my concerns with this terrible show. They're racist I say RACIST!!!!! oh and obviously the asians were too busy studying and being smart in the library to get caught up in any of the drama

    ReplyDelete