Monday, August 11, 2008

There is More to Life than Being Really, Really Ridiculously Good Looking

I’ve known the HGOC for 13 years. In that entire time, I’ve only known him to have had one serious girlfriend. He’s not exactly into the whole commitment lifestyle.


I recently visited him in Los Angeles. On the way to the airport for my return flight he told me, “Next time you see me, I’m going to have a serious girlfriend.”

I was very happy about his new goal, but deep down inside I was thinking, “I guess I’m never going to see him again.”


I follow up with him once in a while to check the progress of his serious girlfriend search. On Friday night, he told me he was still genuinely working on it. I gave him some words of encouragement, but I also told him it would to be a dramatic change, which would require him to sacrifice a little. I asked him, “Why all of a sudden do you want to change your lifestyle and go the commitment route? It’s a big move.”


His response: “Imagine hearing a love song and not thinking about anybody.”


That is deep. I honestly cannot fathom hearing a love song and not thinking about anybody. Actually, I find it fairly depressing.


In response to our conversation, this week’s video is one of the most emotional love songs of all time. In my opinion, “On Bended Knee” by Boyz II Men is the greatest love song of our generation. You could take any set of lyrics from this song and argue it’s the most beautiful, heartfelt lyric you’ve ever heard. For example:


So many nights I dream of you
Holding my pillow tight
I know that I don’t need to be alone
I open up my eyes
To face reality
Every moment without you
It seems like eternity
I’m begging you, begging you come back to me


How could a girl not come back to you after being serenaded with that?


This song also features THE unforgettable vocal solo. Listen around the 3:49 mark. You probably even know the words. How can you not believe in the spirit of love after that? I think love can solve world hunger, cure cancer and give us world peace.


Lastly, this video brilliantly highlights 90s fashion. It has Lark Voorhies aka Lisa Turtle rocking the mid-90s Clueless/Alicia Silverstone look—miniskirt with thigh highs. The Boyz are rocking every imaginable hat. And the Henley shirts are in full effect.

2 comments:

  1. dude seriusly hillarious! i almost woke my grandfather up from laughing so hard

    ReplyDelete
  2. This might be your best writing yet. I too was laughing out loud.

    ReplyDelete