Friday, June 06, 2008

A Wiikend of Sport

The upcoming weekend is full of promise for sports fans. Here is a list of what’s on tap:

Rafael Nadal attempts to tie Bjorn Borg’s record of 4 consecutive French Open titles
Big Brown goes for the first Triple Crown in 30 years
Euro 2008 kicks off
Celtics-Lakers: Game 2
The Dirty Burrito is rocking & running in a 5K*
The Dirty Burrito vies for his first Wiimbledon championship

You read that correctly. I will be competing in the 2nd annual Wiimbledon Wii tennis tournament for a chance to win “games from 2K Sports, a rad golden trophy, Wii Bowling Bags, and possibly some gear from Prince Tennis if those yahoos get their act together.”

For those who want to witness my glorious victory (or ignominious defeat), the tournament starts at 10am this Saturday at Barcade in Brooklyn. There will be an open bar, courtesy of Brooklyn Brewery, sometime in the afternoon. Shoot me a text and I’ll let you know if I’m still dominating or if I’ve been run out of the establishment, and I’ll give you an update on the free beer. If you do show up, I’ll either be wearing all white with a blue headband and blue wristbands, or my bumblebee costume (not sure if the blue sweatbands go with the yellow & black—it’ll be a game-time decision).

If you’re interested in how the tournament goes down or just bored at work because of a New York summer Friday, you can check out the rules and last year’s photos.

*As a reminder, I'll be running in the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center's Rock & Run on the River this Sunday. You can visit my personal page if you would like to make a donation. Thanks in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment