Wednesday, February 06, 2008

40 Days & 40 Nights

Today is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent. It is customary for Christians all across the globe to give up something during this holy season. This means you must abstain from that thing until Easter Sunday.

It’s supposed to be representative of the sacrifice Christ made in giving up his life so that our sins may be forgiven. I’m sure this practice was started with good intentions, but I don’t believe that giving up soda until Easter really means anything.

I have not even attempted to give up anything for Lent in years. However, this year I’ve decided to give up something very dear to me. Chocolate. I know what a lot of you are saying. “Everyone gives up chocolate.” This is true, but chocolate doesn’t mean as much to you as it does to me.

The chocolate river scene from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory isn’t just a scene from a movie. It’s something I hope I’ll one day be able to experience.

Chocolate bars were on sale at Rite Aid for a quarter, and I bought ten 5th Avenues and five Heath bars. And I finished them within a week.

I worked at Godiva and constantly stole truffles from the display case and the backroom.

I determine the quality of Mother’s Day brunch on the sole factor of whether there is a chocolate fountain.

I went to Hong Kong, and my major purchase was twenty boxes of Meiji Meltykiss.

This will be a huge test of fortitude. Will I be able to contain my cravings? I have no idea. I just hope it’ll last longer than my attempt in college to give up alcohol. We threw a party the Saturday after Ash Wednesday, and it just wouldn’t have been right for the host to not drink.

1 comment:

  1. good thing my wedding is after Lent. There will be a chocolate fountain. :)

    ReplyDelete