Monday, January 07, 2008

Seminal Influences

I finally got to watch Juno this past Sunday. I had read mixed reviews, but overall, I enjoyed the movie. The only part I didn’t like was how she instantly became a rock critic. Some people would see her love of music as just another revelation of her personality, but I hate movie characters that think they’re giving commentary for a VH1 Top 100 Videos show. (The only exceptions to this are all the characters in High Fidelity. I thoroughly enjoyed that movie.) Their acting and dialogue are as predictable as Joel Stein placing “Smells Like Teen Spirit,” “Sledgehammer” and “Thriller” among the top 5.

I don’t need commentary on why Iggy Pop & the Stooges were transcendent, incendiary and a seminal influence for many bands to come. We get it. You’re really into music.

No comments:

Post a Comment