Tuesday, October 02, 2007

C-Webb Only Goes for the Smart Money

“I'm not going to Greece. It's no disrespect to [Olympiacos], but I can't do that. I'm an NBA guy. I don't want to just chase money. I want to make sure I respect the game.

“To tell you the truth, it's kind of stupid in a way to turn down stupid money, as my dad would call it, but I can't just do it for the money. If I'm going to play, I'm only going to play as a Piston ... unless something crazy happens.”Chris Webber

Apparently, taking the hundreds of thousands of dollars of illegal payouts from booster Ed Martin wasn’t stupid money at all and was a way of respecting the game.

It’s OK though. I’m not bitter. I’ll always have the memories of the Fab Five and their storied runs to two NCAA finals appearances. Oh crap. Wait a second. According to the NCAA, those things never happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment