Wednesday, May 16, 2007

In Need of Some Drama

The final episode of Gilmore Girls ended last night. Yes, I did actually watch the show casually for a few years, but this should come as no surprise since you already know I enjoy the catchy beats of Kelly Clarkson. The ex-girlfriend from high school forced me to watch it with her toward the end of my senior year, and I just continued watching on and off through college because the show legitimately interested me. It didn’t hurt that I was more than slightly attracted to both Lorelai (the mom) and Rory (the daughter).

I didn’t actually watch the final episode because I’ve just moved into a new apartment and don’t have a TV, but The GF told me how the finale transpired. As she was giving the play-by-play, I suddenly realized that I was a big supporter of The WB throughout my high school and college years, and most of the shows I had really enjoyed are now off the air.

From the time I was a freshman in high school until about a year-and-a-half ago, when I temporarily migrated to The Island, I watched the following shows: Dawson’s Creek, Roswell, Gilmore Girls, Everwood, Smallville, One Tree Hill and Young Americans (a short-lived summer series presented by Coca-Cola—completely lame and trite, and I have no idea how I remember it was a summer series presented by Coca-Cola. I do remember that Kate Bosworth and Ian Somerhalder, who was killed off in the first season of Lost, were on the show.)

Of all these shows, the only one left is One Tree Hill, and I stopped watching because that show became too ridiculous. How can you take a show seriously when it makes Minkus, from Boy Meets World, a significant character? Am I to believe that high school seniors getting married and living together was completely acceptable to the community? What about Moira Kelly “resurrecting” her career by playing Chad Michael Murray’s mom? That was a complete shocker. I kept expecting D.B. Sweeney to show up so they could perform that ridiculous figure skating trick from The Cutting Edge.

What’s the point of this rant? I don’t exactly know. I just felt a bit sad that pretty much all of the shows I once supported are off the air. I was going to make some connection about how I’m growing up and more mature, and I can’t connect with these shows anymore. But that’s a bunch of crap because my favorite show of is Laguna Beach, and I can’t wait to see what happens to Tessa and the gang and how many Dashboard Confessional songs they play in the fourth season.

No comments:

Post a Comment