Tuesday, January 02, 2007

A Look Back at 2006

Since 2006 has finally ended, it’s time for me to give you my year-in-review. I don’t like how television shows and magazines do their year-in-reviews before the year is over. I know they have to do it for practical reasons such as timing for printing the magazine or having something to air on constant repeat during New Year’s Day, but I still don’t like it. What if something hilarious happens on New Year’s Eve—like K-Fed doing something extremely white trash? Then your year-in-review would be missing a pretty big piece of news.

The Dirty Burrito Year-In-Review will go in a month-by-month format. I’m primarily sticking to events I mentioned in my blog because my memory isn’t good enough to recall the entire year. I’ll still mention other things I didn’t write about once in a while. But don’t get your hopes up for that.

I’ll highlight my favorite moments, provide pictorial evidence, and link to all the posts for that month. To see the posts, just click on the month. Also, if you want to see more pictorial evidence, you can just click this link. I’m also listing the months in Spanish, to reflect my “Mexican” heritage. And without further ado…

enero

The year started off in glorious fashion. I went to Boracay with my family before they had to return to The Americas. The second night there, I went out with my entire family, got drunk with my parents, uncles, and aunt, and finally found out why I’m such a horrible dancer. It was truly murder on the dance floor.

I am fortunate enough to have an uncle who has his own ad agency, so I stayed behind and began my stint at The Agency. It would be the first of two jobs I would hold this year—a record low. I immediately cashed in on the perks of the job. One of the accounts on which I worked was sponsoring the Backstreet Boys concert, so I got 2 tickets in the second row. After the show, my allegiance to *NSYNC was immediately called into question. Additionally, my post following the concert was probably my most well-received post.

The Spaghetti Stain earned his new nickname of Hottest Guy on Campus. It was a pivotal moment for The Dirty Burrito because it opened up guest blogging opportunities. There was no way I was letting a greasy Italian named The Spaghetti Stain contribute more than once on my blog. As long as he’s HGOC, he can contribute as much as he wants and remedy the long lulls you experience from me.

febrero

I began my modeling career when I had to act as a body double for a Filipino action star because we didn’t want to spend more money on another shoot.

I went to Davao to shoot a whitewater rafting scene for a commercial for the Department of Tourism. From the people, to the food, to the rafting, to the partying, it was probably the best trip I’ve ever taken. Oh, and I almost drowned. That was pretty exciting too.

The Island was under political distress during this time. There were all these political rallies to oust the president. CNN.com made it seem like it was extremely dangerous and the country was going to fall apart. Unfortunately, my office building was three blocks from one of the rallies, and I didn’t even give it a second thought. Way to blow things out of proportion American media.

I also unknowingly sat through a mini earthquake. I was typing at my desk, when the keyboard moved slightly. I was completely baffled by this. I thought someone merely nudged my desk, but then someone next to me yelled something in her regional dialect and I saw my uncle lean against the door frame. Then, the movement ended. It wasn’t until the movement stopped that I realized it was a mini earthquake, tremor, or whatever you call it.

marzo

I went on location again for another scene for the Department of Tourism commercial. I went to Hundred Islands National Park for kayaking. It was a wonderful sight. The scenery was beautiful, and my group was able to kayak to one of the islands for our own private beach.

I took up boxing. What a workout. It’s also a nice release after work. You can take out all your aggression on the trainer or the heavy bag.

In the world of advertising, I switched to copywriting to finish my last 5 weeks at The Agency. They actually let me write something that went in the papers. I wrote the copy on a full-page advertorial. Unfortunately, the clients were making changes up until midnight before the paper came out, and I missed a grammatical error. I told this to an art director and he said, “It’s OK. Nobody will read it anyway.” What a relief.

My freelance modeling career continued—emphasis on “free.” I was in two 30-second public service announcements and a print ad that made it to the Cannes Lions.

I took a trip to Hong Kong with my uncle and grandparents. It was a great city to visit, though I don’t think I’d enjoy living there. But naturally, the Chinese food was the best I’ve ever had. I would go back just to eat.

abril

I think the highlight of the month was taking my 16-year-old cousins out. There was sketchiness all around. I think you’ll just have to read about that.

I also returned to The Americas. I had a great time on The Island, but it was time for me to go. Plus, my mom was calling me every other day to make sure I was actually coming back. I don’t think she was confident that I’d return.

My awesome friends threw a party for me welcoming me back to The Americas. They called it The Ameri-Carlo Party. Fun times.

mayo

Nothing particularly happened in May. I flew to NY for a week, thinking I was so badass that I could interview and nail down a job in that time. I did get a final interview call from the NY Times Digital even though I didn’t look at their Web site and got called out on it by the big boss lady. Even though I didn’t get the job, the final interview request prompted me to pack what I could fit into two suitcases and move to NY. I think it was a very wise move.

junio

I got hired by my current agency. I’m still at the company and I haven’t been demoted, so that is a huge accomplishment. I only held two jobs in 2006. As I’ve stated before, this is a huge accomplishment.

The World Cup started in June, and I spent most of my initial weeks at work watching the games on ESPN 360. I completely hated the commentary, but the games were entertaining.

My prediction that Kevin Richardson from BSB would quit came true.

julio

I had my one year anniversary as a blogger. I didn’t think I could keep it going for a year, but you guys kept reading.

I ended up at a party at gay bar hosted by the costume designer from The Devil Wears Prada. My friends and I thought we were going to a Prada party with lots of hot models. It ended up being OK because I saw Amadeus and got free drinks.

agosto

HGOC contributed by starting a discussion about my wedding song. He really wants me to have it be “Africa” by Toto because this is what I immaturely promised approximately four years ago. It probably won’t happen, but you never know. I can tell you this much—“Africa” will be played at some point during my wedding.

Season 3 of Laguna Beach premiered. I successfully predicted that they’d play a Dashboard Confessional song during the third episode to make it three consecutive episodes with depressing, my-girlfriend-broke-up-with-me emo. I ended up downloading that album. It was pretty good. I also fell in love with Tessa, even if she doesn’t have the greatest personality at all times.

I turned 23. I got an awesome birthday dinner from The GF. She took me to Dip, a fondue restaurant in Murray Hill. She knew I love chocolate, bread, and cheese. She really couldn’t go wrong by bringing me to a fondue joint.

septiembre

I made my first trip to the Hamptons to attend a wedding. It was a beautiful wedding that had a 12 hour reception with nonstop booze and food. It was glorious. Hooligan James and I found some champagne bottles and started a communal sharing of alcohol.

After a 14 month hiatus, Northwestern’s Hottest Guy on Campus returned to write an actual guest post. It was hilarious. I wanted to counter many of his points, but I was too lazy. That’s why he was guest blogging.

octubre

I took a trip to Los Angeles to visit HGOC. Though I had fun, I decided that I don’t ever want to move there. Though I’m very laid back, I think the Los Angeles crowd is too laid back for me. Plus, I think I’d want to punch every aspiring actor/actress that I meet.

I proclaimed my love for Gray’s Papaya, but I’m still too scared to say anything to the Filipinos that always work at the 8th Street & 6th Avenue location.

noviembre

I let you all know about my views on Thanksgiving and how I was so confused about many things as a child.

Michigan lost to Ohio State...again. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Michigan should not allow Lloyd Carr to coach because his name begins and ends with a double consonant. That is not the formula for success.

diciembre

I publicly proclaimed that Love Actually is my favorite holiday movie, and that “Last Christmas” by George Michael is a superior Christmas song to “All I Want for Christmas is You” by Mariah Carey.

I reached the six month anniversary at my job. That is the longest I’ve stayed a “real job.”

I put up my 100th post. It was a link to the newest Transformers movie trailer. Even though Optimus Prime has flames, I think the movie will still be awesome. It better be awesome because that is the only way Michael Bay can make up for putting flames on Optimus Prime.

I attended New Year’s Eve festivities at Fat Baby in the Lower East Side. The night started out good, but not being able to find a cab and having to take the trains home dampened the evening. But New Year’s Eve will be a separate post if I ever find the time.

I've been pretty happy with the past year. I would even rank it in the top three years of my life. Hopefully, 2007 will be just as good, if not better.

No comments:

Post a Comment