Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Taking a Break

I know. I don't need to take a break. I haven't posted in ages, and the last new entry was from the Hottest Guy on Campus--2 weeks ago. But the title of this post does not refer to my recent laziness/busy schedule. It refers to those dreaded words you hate to hear from your significant other: "I think we should take a break."

No, The GF and I did not go through this episode...recently. My roommate was telling me how some close friends of his were about to begin a "trial separation." I think this term is overly euphemistic. Tonight (not sure why I didn't come to this conclusion sooner), I came to the realization that a "trial separation" is a married couple's way of saying, "We need to take a break."

For married couples, it's certainly a far cry from "taking a break" from dating. When in the dating/unmarried phase, at least one party, usually the break-suggester, goes on to be promiscuous with several fine or not so fine specimens of the opposite sex. In some cases, the party on the receiving end of the break suggestion will sit alone and cry him/herself to sleep. In other cases, the receiver uses this as motivation to exact revenge on the break-suggester and will instantly turn on his/her game.

The situation is slightly more complicated when a couple is married. Surely, several assets are shared, and, in some cases, children. In that situation you can't just go to your local watering hole and bring home the first piece of sleaze that you see. If you have kids, the reasons are obvious. But even if you don't have kids, if, during a "trial separation," you take home that "hot"(WARNING! Beer Goggles in full effect!) waitress after she's given you your 10 free shot, you're still not divorced. If your soon-to-be ex-wife find out about your shenanigans, she will be taking half of your meager fortune once she does divorce you.

The lesson of this little blog entry: Don't ever get married...ever!

1 comment: