Thursday, May 18, 2006

A Search Engine for Life

Don’t you wish you had Google for your life? For example, I was just looking for my parents’ copy of March of the Penguins. It had been sitting on the kitchen counter for about two weeks, and I finally decided I wanted to watch it. I’m sure you can guess what happens when I finally get up the energy to watch the movie. It disappears. It isn’t in the kitchen, the DVD cabinet, or any of the bedrooms. I don’t know if this is just wishful thinking or if I use the Internet too much, but while I searched my kitchen I thought it would be brilliant to type in March of the Penguins into Google so that I wouldn’t have to do all this manual searching.

In all fairness, it’s a great and very practical idea, but maybe too farfetched. A split second after that thought, I realized how ridiculous my idea was. Why is it ridiculous? It’s ridiculous because, though creative, it highlights my dependency on the Internet.

How bad is my dependency? I need to bring my laptop with me everywhere. I move it from room-to-room in my house. I need to have my laptop next to me when I read a book so I can go to Dictionary.com to look up the meanings of word I don’t know and search Google or Wikipedia for pop culture, scientific, and historical references with which I’m not familiar. I need it while I watch TV or movies so I can search IMDb for “that guy I saw on another show.” My parents have Direct TV, and as I browsed the menu the other night I wished the programming guide had a search engine built into it. I don’t need Us Weekly when I can read Bricks and Stones, Perez Hilton, or Pink is the New Blog. And do you think Access Hollywood is going to tell me that Lindsay Lohan has finally decided to eat and get her boobs back?

If you’ll excuse me, I’m going to watch some YouTube.

2 comments:

  1. even when you have an away message up i now know i can im you whenever because you take your comp with you all over the house

    ReplyDelete
  2. March of the Penguins is with your brother.

    ReplyDelete