Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Getting Back on the Boat

Hello my friends. I have returned. I again apologize for the long delay, but I was in New York over Halloween weekend honing my playground recreation skills as a member of the Average Joe’s dodgeball team.


As you know, I am currently deciding the path I want to take in life. After speaking to my uncle and mulling over my prospects, I decided that moving back to the motherland for four months to work was just too good to pass up.

You may be asking yourself how I came to this decision. The fact that my uncle has his own ad agency speaks volumes for what I can learn; he obviously knows his stuff. I did consider moving to New York to be closer to my lady friend and other friends and enjoy the vibrant life of the Big Apple. There are tons of jobs there, and I’m certain I could’ve landed one that would’ve paid enough to have an enjoyable lifestyle in terms of someone in his early twenties. I could’ve paid rent, been able to afford some groceries, and I would’ve gone out and lived it up. I also considered the California option, but that would’ve been much more difficult due to the distance. The travel expenses for finding jobs and moving would’ve been insane. Ultimately, I realized that all these stateside options will be there for me in the future. Even though I am probably the most Americanized Flip you’ll ever meet, I still hold a special place in my heart for The Island. I spent the first five formative years of my life there, and all of my family, the people who helped raise me, is all there. It was just too difficult for me to pass up the opportunity to go back to my birthplace and work in an industry in which I’ve been interested since I was 11. Though the trailer for the Real World/Road Rules The Gauntlet II, which starts on December 5, looked really awesome, something in my gut just kept telling me to go back.

Here are some other reasons for me to go:
- Laguna Beach would be on hiatus, so I wouldn’t be missing anything while I am gone.
- I would get to miss the winter.
- I would get to eat a lot of food and gain my weight back.
- I feel tall over there.
- I figured someone could teach me how to drive a manual transmission and learn foreign driving skills, and I could eventually become a cabbie in NYC if corporate America doesn’t work out for me.
- My US dollars have a lot of purchasing power.
- A plethora of new blog material.
- Hanging out with all my cousins. (Since I am the oldest grandchild on both sides of the family, I feel like my cousins just think I’m that old guy and when I see them again when they’re like 15 and I’m in my thirties, my uncles and aunts are going to say stuff like “Do you remember your cousin Carlo? He’s the oldest. He used to play with you when you were 3 years old.” I don’t want to be that guy, but I probably will be anyway. Oh well.)
- Vacation! I’m not starting until January since my immediate family will be there vacationing during December, and I intend to vacation with them.
- Maybe I’ll pick up some of the Asian skills I missed out on because I grew up in suburban Michigan. Maybe I’ll learn how to break dance, color my hair, do my hair into some Rufio haircut or some other crazy style, drive an import tuner (for those of you that don’t know, an import tuner is basically a tricked out Japanese car like on Fast and the Furious), Asian rap, become a professional Dance Dance Revolution player, or maybe just get smart and be able to do some really high level differential and integral calculus or some other really difficult scientific/numeric subject.

Anyhow, I’m going to hop back on the boat that I rowed to get to America and head back across the Pacific to the land named after King Philip II of Spain; the land that killed Ferdinand Magellan, the first man to circumnavigate the globe by boat; home of Amelda Marcos, infamous for her shoe collection (if you don’t know what I’m talking about, I’m sure your parents do); and the birthplace of the modern yo-yo (if you don’t believe me, then search “yoyo” on Wikipedia and see “The yo-yo in modern times”).

I am embarking on December 14 and I plan to make my triumphant return to the United States in late March or early April. Until then, I am going to undertake a farewell tour. I am planning to meet up with all my old roommates in Ann Arbor the weekend of November 11. I am definitely reuniting with all my Dance Dance Revolution cronies and revisiting my old residence in Ann Arbor the weekend of November 18 for the UM vs. Ohio State game. Thanksgiving will be a glorious reunion with everyone as always. I plan on visiting New York December 7-12 to see my friend that is a girl one last time before I flee the country for four months.

You will receive a Jogging Journal, some sort of recap, or both for the Laguna Beach finale on November 14. Stay alert. Good night, and good luck.

4 comments:

  1. Hey I think you made the right decision. We can't wait to see you. Welcome home Carlo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laguna Beach finale...no commercials...so sweet! Damn you, Jason! hehehe have a great trip, buddy!

    -Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its Imelda not Amelda

    BongBong

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take a close look at the map and you'll notice on the left-center the name "Detroit de Mindoro"...

    You are much closer to the motor city than you think.

    Magellan

    ReplyDelete