Monday, October 17, 2005

I Need Direction

Shakin’ booty making sweet love all the night

It’s time I got back to the good life

It’s time I got back

It’s time I got back

And I don’t even know how I got of the track

I wanna go back

- “The Good Life” by Weezer

You would think that not having a job would lead to me shakin’ booty and making sweet love all the night, every night. However, my self-imposed budget and existence of a significant other banded together to prevent all that from happening.

What I have to do now is get back on the track to employment. Now that I don’t have to show up to my cube every morning, I’ve been able to focus all my energy on finding the right employment. I didn’t know the job search could be so tedious. While I was in school last year, I just relied on the Career Center to provide me with on-campus interviews because it was really easy to just walk to their building. This time around, I’m searching everything from Monster to Career Builder to Vault and all the companies in between. I’ve applied to about fifty jobs, and submitted about twenty cover letters with my resume. Writing a cover letter is like writing a college paper—it blows.

So I applied to all these jobs and I even got replies from some of them, and I realized that I didn’t even really have an urge to work for most of the companies where I applied. I was just submitting my resume to places that sounded cool (MTV Networks) and entry level crap that sounded like it would pay a decent amount for minimal work (Chipotle). I took a step back and really thought about what I wanted to with my life. I didn’t want to end up at another job like Business Analyst at Target, where I was about to go insane.

I had to take a step back and look at what interested me, and what it came down to was advertising and marketing. I know I’ll probably have to work for peanuts for a few years, but I don’t think I’ll mind. Ever since my uncle brought me with him to work at McCann Erickson Philippines when I was 11, I always wanted to be in that business. Unfortunately, I got off the track somewhere along the way and chose to major in the exciting field of Economics. Maybe I should’ve laid off the booze and took some actual time to choose a major that would’ve helped me in advertising. I know what you’re thinking right now. “Carlo, why didn’t you just major in advertising?” The answer is that the University of Wolverines didn’t have the greatest array of majors, and somehow I chose to go into the exciting world of nominal interest rates and compensating wage differentials. See what I mean, it turned me into such a huge nerd that I just used those last two economic terms in my blog that is pretty much devoted to pop culture television.

Anyhow, I ended up applying to some large agencies in California, New York, and Michigan to get into media planning. That is where you get to do some research and decide what media outlets to use for ads. It may not sound too sweet to you, but it sounds sweet to me. And that’s the kicker right there. None of the jobs I was applying to were interesting to me. They only seemed interesting because I thought they’d give me a decent monetary payoff.

I just realized that I probably bored the hell out of a lot of you with the not so brief description of my thought process for my job search, so I’ll start talking about my random thoughts in the following paragraphs. Anyway, I guess the grand point I was trying to reach is that life is too short to stay in the wrong situations. The past four months that I worked just flew, and I was miserable for a good part of it. Let’s hope this advertising thing works out.


I was watching The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air a couple days ago and I had a revelation. The opening sequence where they roll the credits and Will Smith raps never changed in all the years (1990-1996 according to IMDb.com) it was on the air. The only things that changed were when they added Ross Bagley because he played Nicky and the name switch for the actresses that played Aunt Viv. Even when his bright, baggy clothes went out of style, they never re-shot the scene. I found this interesting.

Does anyone else think that Iron Chef America is inferior to the original Iron Chef? It’s so ridiculous. It’s just not as interesting when it’s not dubbed.

I think Bill Simmons needs to stop talking about Boston.

I love how Scoop Jackson incorporates his dialect into his writing.

Can you believe Hatty hooked up with a 37 year old mom that has a teenager? What a crazy guy.

Does anyone watch hockey now that it’s back? I catch some random highlights on SportsCenter, but it’s not the same anymore. They might as well just put on some Arena Football highlights.

I finished The OC: The Complete First Season last week, and I'm not ashamed to say that I loved it.

Since Bush Senior and Bill Clinton are so tight nowadays, I would love to see them make a run for the White House together. Bush Senior would have to run for President because Clinton demolished him and already used up his two terms.

It’s 2:30 in the morning, and I’m finally getting sleepy. I will leave you with this question: What the heck happened to my “I heart Soccer Moms” t-shirt? I was going to wear that to my sister’s soccer games, but now I can’t because it mysteriously disappeared about a year ago.

1 comment:

  1. hello Carlo! I've been enjoying reading your articles. Didn't know you could write! You will always be our little Carlo who used to pee in the parking lot of DLSU. remember that? You have grown, and I am proud to say you have done well so far. Keep it up!

    Tita Triccie
    P.S. let's not tell anyone how old I am, okay?

    ReplyDelete