Thursday, October 20, 2005

Flowing with Randomness

Michael Jackson received a summons for jury duty in Santa Barbara. His lawyers are taking care of it because he apparently lives in Bahrain right now. What the hell is he doing in Bahrain? He must be into the exotic youngsters now. OK, bad joke. I apologize.

I was watching the new Sean Paul video for We Be Burnin, and I started to wonder. “Does Sean Paul really have that accent when he isn’t singing?” Have you ever heard Shaggy speak when he isn’t singing? He doesn’t have an accent! He turns it on for when he sings. There is also UB40, who sang Red Red Wine. They sound like they’re from the islands, but they are actually British. If only I had an accent…and musical talent…I’d be rich.

Speaking of being rich, I did not win the PowerBall jackpot last night so I am still not rich. Don’t worry because I only bought two tickets. I wasn’t one of those crazy fools who bought like $200 worth of tickets for a 1 in 146 million chance of matching all 6 numbers. Also, what is the deal with these suckers who played the numbers from Lost. I don’t watch Lost nor do I have anything against the show, but what the hell were those people thinking? Even if those numbers did show up, did they think that they’d be the only ones that thought of the genius idea to play those numbers?

You want to know who is lost...besides me, of course? Butch Walker. My friend, Alexander, discovered him the other day. I’m going to have to say Butch is even more depressing than Dashboard Confessional in the days when he was a solo acoustic act singing about how his girlfriend broke his heart. I’m telling you, Butch Walker is one tortured soul. I’m surprised he was able to stay away from killing himself and write music. Go check out his site at www.butchwalker.com for music samples and his deeply depressing lyrics. It’s a cool site regardless of whether you like him.

Let’s talk about using a phrase that starts with “whether.” For example, in the last sentence of the previous paragraph, most people would have written “whether you like him or not.” I’ve learned that this is incorrect because “whether” implies there is another extreme. I’ll get off my soapbox now.

Since I’ve moved to Minneapolis, I’ve experienced extreme weight loss. I’ve lost 10 pounds and I’m down to 160 pounds; this was my weight when I was a 13 year-old 8th grader. I thought that was kind of weird because I expected to gain a gut just like my dad. I don’t want any of you to think I’m anorexic, bulimic, or spend 4 hours in the gym everyday. I still work out normally like I used to in college, but my old work schedule combined with not having a ton of money or a car have contributed to my diminished weight. When you are sitting in a cube all day trying to get your work done, you don’t really think about eating too much. I also don’t have a car, so I can’t get to a grocery store. I just take my diminished budget to the Target in downtown Minneapolis. I haven’t had fresh produce in months.

I’ve been spending a lot of my time watching the Food Network to get ideas for things to make once I move back home and have access to fresh produce and ingredients other than pasta, chicken, rice, and bread. My favorite shows are 30 Minute Meals with Rachael Ray, Good Deal with Dave Lieberman, Everyday Italian, Iron Chef (original, not the cheap American rip off), Emeril Live, and Unwrapped. There is so much awesome food. It’s also good to see Mark Summers still working. He deserves to be happy after providing so much joy for much of the youth of America in Double Dare and Family Double Dare. I know the Huffy Bikes and British Knights really made me want to be on the show.

If you want to read something embarrassing and funny about my childhood in the motherland, read the comment left by my 40 year-old aunt from the October 17 entry entitled I Need Direction. See you next update.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the compliment about my gut.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carlo. I think you made the right decision about coming back home to Manila. We can't wait to see you. I honestly think you'll do good in the advertising world. See you soon.

    tita tes

    ReplyDelete
  3. so what's this about you not being able to afford the grocery??? TGT pays you enough you should be more than fine...ask for a ride if you need some produce!!!

    ReplyDelete